Is there a law specifically for menopause in the UK? Not sure what laws relate to menopause in the workplace?
In this blog, I’m going to answer the most commonly asked questions about menopause and the law.
- Is there a specific law for menopause?
- Is there a law that says you have to make changes in the workplace?
- Is menopause covered under the Equality Act 2010?
- Does The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 cover menopause?
- Is it the law to have a menopause policy?
- Has menopause been the cause of an employment tribunal?
So if you’re curious about menopause and employment law, this blog is for you as I answer the questions most frequently asked.
Is there a specific law for menopause?
Currently, there is no specific law that directly relates to the menopause but menopause at work is covered by certain pieces of legislation to protect employers and employees:
- The Equality Act 2010
- The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
The Equality Act 2010
- The Equality Act 2010 is where menopause is largely covered under three protected characteristics: age, sex and disability discrimination.
Is there a law that says you have to make changes in the workplace?
The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
Provides for safe working and extends to the working conditions when experiencing menopausal symptoms
Is it against the law not to have a menopause policy?
It’s not law you have to have a menopause policy.
Have businesses been taken to court?
Yes, there have been businesses and organisations in the UK taken to employment tribunals.
Menopause and Court cases
Merchant v BT plc
Mandy Davies v Scottish Court Tribunal Service
Menopause is at the centre of a rise of employment tribunals in the UK.
According to the latest UK data, there were five employment tribunals referencing the claimant’s menopause in 2018, six in 2019 and 16 in 2020. There have been 10 in the first six months of 2021 alone.
What can you do to stay on the right side of the law?
Start the conversation about menopause in the workplace
- Make it easier for managers to start and have conversations
- Understand the main symptoms and how these impact the employee and the workplace.
- Understand employment law
What are the benefits of understanding menopause?
- Know how the menopause can affect the work-place.
- Know the implications for equality, health and safety
- Know what adjustments may be necessary
Want to know more about menopause awareness for your workplace?
Here’s some further reading.